Monday, January 16, 2012

day 118 (Things About Me You Might Not Know)

I used to be the most painfully shy child.

How shy?

Well let me tell you.
I used to LOVE McDonald's french fries.  When I was young we used to stop at McDonalds on the way to the cottage. I lived for this. I was a fussy eater growing up. But I loved those fries. But they had to have ketchup.

My father was aware of my shyness and was trying to give me little challenges overcome my timidness. My challenge was the same one every time we made this trip.
My Dad would order for all off us. We would return to our table I would be eagerly awaiting my thin salty fries and then I would realize all the ketchup had been spoken for.
You have to be kidding me.

I was to ask the McDonald's cashier for the ketchup myself. My whole family was in on this. No need to even ask if they would spare me a packet. I hated fries without ketchup. I put on a brave face and walked towards the counter.

I made eye contact with the employee and she looked really annoyed. I quickly turned on my heels and head back to the table. I held out my hands for the car keys. (I was not going to eat fries without ketchup, plus I  failed the challenges.)  I retreat to our car. Looking up at the sign of how many million have been served I wonder if they ask for ketchup for their fries all on their own.

I would like to let everyone know that I am no longer shy at all. I can't remember when I overcame it but I know it was a very slow process. I still get tongue tied and nervous, but my fries always have ketchup.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a great story. I'm glad your fries are no longer ketsup-less and that you got such a cute piece of art out of it!

Mandy said...

Your stories and work are making me laugh and cry, lately. Just gorgeous. Thanks again! Best wishes to you.

MZ said...

That is such a cute story! My mom says that I would go up and talk to anyone, no matter what. My boyfriend, on the other hand, was also painfully shy. Unless they were a pirate or something (which I think is totally valid)

Femke said...

Thank you for sharing this story! And again, a lovely piece of art... You're an inspiration for all the shy kids that want to be artists some day!

xoxo, Femke On the Button

Rachel, Cold Knees said...

This is a cute story, I was really really shy as a child as well. Often overcoming it comes with growing up! xx

Bonny said...

I am glad you overcame your shyness. My daughter was so shy that when she was just a toddler and I would be in the grocery and someone would come up and say something cute to her, she would bow her head down on her chest and say quietly, 'don't talk to me'. And, she too, grew out of it. In fact, sometimes I think I raised her a bit too independently :)